Tuesday, May 23, 2006

Am I Doing Enough?

Having a hum drum day (as usually happens when I have too much time on my hands) and I start to wonder ... am I doing enough? I always take the stairs instead of the elevator. I bring apple cores home for the composting worms. I drive a hybrid and use my bike on short errands whenever I can. I haven't used a clothes dryer in 8 years. I reduce, I reuse, I recycle.

But is it enough? Am I compensating for that mother of 6 in middle America who shops at Wal*Mart, feeds her kids McDonalds 3 times a week, as she shuttles them long distances in her under 20 mpg SUV? Am I compensating for 10 people? 100? or not even my own lapses in judgment?

This too shall pass I'm sure. But today I'm in a funk

1 comment:

Brian said...

I assume you were still recovering from your 40 hour day and meant "I always take the stairs instead of the elevator." It's easy to feel overwhelmed and like you can't make a difference when you look around and what you're up against. And perhaps in this generation, none of us can make an actual noticeable difference. But hopefully the more you do, people will notice and start making changes in their life, and one person at a time things start to change so that come the NEXT generation the grassroots movements have turned into just the norm. Pipe dreams maybe. But it's what keeps ME going.