Saturday, August 05, 2006

Simplicity & Recycling: Ink & Toner

I'm not usually one to subscribe to the "Planned Obsolescence" theory that many have about consumer products built to fall apart sooner than they should so that consumers will buy more and more. But ya see, I've got this printer... and let's not go naming any names...(Epson Stylus C86) but it has this automatic refusal to print ANYTHING if you run out of any of the four different ink cartridges. Now I'm not usually one to print in color, but I need to keep 3 full color cartridges in the printer in order for it to work at all. You can't just take them out. You can't try to trick the printer and put a black cartridge in the Cyan slot. All you can do is head out and purchase a new full one for $20-$30 a pop. Worse yet, even if you don't use the color at all, they dry up on their own. So I'm mad as hell and I can't take it anymore and I head down to ye olde office supply store to get one of those syringe refillable ink set ups. But of course, my printer is one of the few that is not even allowed to be refilled this way.

But here is an idea I think whose time has come. Check out Cartridge World, a retail outlet that will do the dirty work of refilling your toner and ink for you.

No comments: